Pages

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Hand Dyed Yarn

Information and registration for the Sit & Knit is here.

Ok, so this is my first attempt at dyeing yarn. It didn't come out as nice as some people's I've seen on the web. But in person, I find it quite nice. Also, the picture shows variations I didn't even know where there and couldn't see.

I used Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool and Kool-Aid. I used vinegar on two of them and went without on the last one. I don't think it made a difference. For these, they are all orange color based so I will use them in making something like a small lapghan or a hat and scarf set. Something like that.

I still need to do some more studying - I have two more skeins to go and about 30 packets of Kool-Aid left. I also used some food dye in the one on the right. It's all orange Kook-Aid, but I dropped some red food dye in and went over the yarn again.

Because spring has finally come, I dried them all outside (out of direct sunlight.)

The next time I try it, I will use more Kool-Aid in the six ounces of water, start with a darker base color and try and lighten up the variations. I'm not real interested in making solid colored skeins because there are many solid colors out there. I have a problem finding nice variegated yarn and this is my way of getting just what I want. Plus, since I can find the wool yarn at a discount, it is really an economical way of making yarn. It does save money and I get exactly what I am looking for - this could be the start of something really fun and really good!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin