Pages

Friday, March 13, 2009

Friendship Friday - Sundaez Child

As some of you know, and all of you will soon know, I have a shop on Etsy.com. (designbcb) One of the features on the site is called 'Favorites' where someone can look on your site and make it a favorite site of theirs. I have no idea what this is supposed to accomplish. I have favorites because I like what they make or because their shop is fun. That could be why everyone else does it, too.

I have decided to do a regular feature of those folks who have made my shop one of their favorites. It's a thank you to them for thinking that much of me. Visit these shops to get some gifts for friends or for yourself.
Gay runs Sundaez Child, a store featuring beaded and silver jewelry. She was the first person to select my store as a favorite so I thought it would be nice to start this new feature with her. In the future folks will be featured as they respond to my request to feature them on the blog.

How long have you been making jewelry?
Well, in one form or another over 20 years.

What was the first piece you ever made?
Normally that might be tricky to remember but because I still have the scars to prove it, a cuff bracelet hand sawed and pierced from 16 gauge sterling sheet.

Where's the most unusual place your jewelry has been showcased or worn?
Unusual hmmmm, I don’t know about unusual but I was privileged enough to create pieces for an entire wedding party including the bride, bridesmaids and mothers of the bride and groom. Sure made for some nice photos.

What inspires you to make certain pieces?
I would say I’m lucky because inspiration can come from almost anything but music is my muse. Certain music can set a mood and it just goes from there.

When did you decide to go into the business of selling jewelry?
I’d been making it for some time and giving it as gifts. It was when people started to ask me to make them something the light bulb went on.

What other jobs did you have before?
For years I worked in accounting, primarily for the motion picture industry.

What's the most difficult thing about your craft?
Like any craft I would guess learning and practicing the skills you need. That and mistakes can be expensive.

What is the most rewarding?
Nothing beats seeing a piece of my work on someone. It stops me in my tracks every time.

What advice do you have for aspiring artisans?
If you love it, do it and if it is worth doing, it is worth doing well.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin