Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Steamed!

I've been staying up all night - literally going to bed later than my normal 2am; I've been going at 3 to 4 in the morning because I am excited about the new venture in my head where writing and knitting can combine and I can branch off into another area where passion lies and earn a living without ever walking back into corporate America.

This lead me to venture outside in the snowy, cold weather to purchase something I would never have purchased if it wasn't for the dream.

I bought this:
It is a steamer. A portable steamer, to be exact. A Sharper Image portable steamer because I'm classy! Now understand, I don't block. I never liked to block. Marilyn blocks. She says the least I should do is block seams. Marilyn blocks everything. I think she blocks yarn labels. But not me. I avoid it like a cheap plague. But something came inside my head and said. "If you are going to sell homemade goods, you should make sure they are homemade and not handmade."

Sigh.

That would mean getting out the iron and the ironing board and trying to figure out how the iron makes steam (cuz I don't iron, either) and then it hit me this morning: get a portable steamer and you won't need the ironing board or the iron. You can pin down blocks on the press board you have and the bigger items on the huge beach towels, steam those puppies, let em dry and call it a good day. It also automatically disinfects and makes em smell cleaner. It's a trifecta!

I'm friggin' brilliant.

I have a block afghan wip. I have three strips of five blocks each already sewn together. I am thinking of undoing them and blocking the squares. I am also thinking of blocking the strips themselves and then blocking the rest of the squares as they are made. I think I will opt for that - excited I am, but I'm not totally insane.

I brought my steamer home and showed the HB - he does ironing every week even though he's retired. I thought he would be totally underwhelmed. He looked at it and said, "Hey, I wonder if I can use that on my cotton shirts?"

I flipped the box over and showed him the picture of someone doing a shirt. "Nice." he said.

I do believe somewhere an angel got his wings.

5 comments:

Heather said...

LOL - sounds like the perfect gadget!

cici said...

hahah... yes I agree, you are brillant!.. I never block either. I thought I was the only one. Now you have got me to thinking.. A steamer might just be the answer. :)

Beverly said...

Oh, girls...i used it this evening. I did end up undoing those squares (so much for my sanity) and i pinned two of them to my foam board and steamed the crap right out of them.
Not only are the squares 3 inches larger, they're softer than heck!
This may be the best $20 I've spent in some time!!

cici said...

are you saying that the steamer only cost $20 bucks??? I was thinking in the $100 range. This is sounding better and better. I will have to look into this further

Beverly said...

that's all it cost at bed bath & beyond! good investment!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin