Pages

Monday, June 7, 2010

Four Down, Eleven To Go and a Surprise Knit Tip

I don't know when I first got the idea we should visit every National League Baseball Park but I know it's been something we've been working on. It's going to take us a while because I think we don't have to do more than two a year because, frankly, baseball tickets can be expensive depending on where you go. We've done four out of the fifteen and I count that as kind of a good thing. We are going back to the ones we visited - which is another reason why it's going to take a long time to accomplish the goal - we've enjoyed all the parks so far. They each have their own high points.

This year, we went to Pittsburgh - as you already know - and Happy and I saw PNC Park for the first time. The Pirates have been playing there since 2001 giving up Three Rivers Stadium for the new downtown facility. And it really is downtown. It is across the river from the
hub bub of downtown but downtown is visible from any seat in the park. The other thing visible from our seats (and most seats) is the beautiful Roberto Clemente Bridge - also the 6th Street Bridge (shades of Simon and Garfunkel for those of us old enough to know Simon and Garfunkel.) The thing about the bridge is that it was built in 1928 far before anyone even thought Roberto Clemente would be a great ballplayer let alone a humanitarian who be killed in a plane crash so the city renamed the bridge in 1998. It's one of three almost identical bridges and is a great view from the park. You'll be able to see it in some other shots because there are stories to tell about going to ballparks and how you make friends with those around you. We're already considering where we will go next: Washington Nationals in D.C. - we have family in Baltimore so that could be cool. Coors Field in Colorado - brother lives in Denver. Chase in Phoenix ( sister and brother there)
or Houston.

Next week, we make a return visit to Miller Park to see the Cubs play the Brewers. Love that park and love the food! The food at PNC was OK.

But guess what I discovered? I didn't pack a suitcase just an overnight bag (OK I packed by Disney big tote bag!) Coming back home, I threw my soap (yes, I brought my own soap) in it's plastic bag into my knitting bag and when I got home and pulled out my yarn, it smelled like my soap - nice and fresh! Never occurred to me that it would do that but now I am keeping a small bar of soap in my knitting bag to keep the fibers fresh. I will be using the non-perfume kind because I sell my stuff and I don't want to cause problems, but what an easy way to freshen up the fibers especially during the hot months when humidity can play around with yarn.

What a great little bonus!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin