Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Great Big Nothing

I get up early to watch reruns of The West Wing. I can just as easily set the DVR and stay in bed but there's something about watching it when it's on that I cannot explain. The show is on the Bravo network and watching it in real time means watching the commercials and sometimes the beginnings of the shows that come on after and this has led me to the following questions:

Who the hell cares if Bethanny got married?
Do real housewives whether in New York, New Jersey or D.C. walk around all day in 5 inch heels and ride around in limos?
Can Rachel Zoe, like, say a sentence that, like, doesn't irritate the, like, grammar police and the, like, sensibilities?

I haven't been feeling all that well for the past few days. My blood sugar has been up a little bit. It has been in the normal range between 90-120 but two Sundays ago it was 110 (which is high for me) and this last Sunday it was 105. In the normal range but enough to make me feel funny. So, I had to pull myself back into discipline mode and watch what I eat and, this is important, how often I eat. Basically, I started following the Body for Life plan which I know works for me.

Three days later and I feel much better. I don't feel flighty and the energy has already increased. It's an added bonus that the Michigan peaches have come into the store and they are so good. It's a shame we have to wait until August to have the really good peaches that aren't big lugs of fiber but they are so worth the wait. This is the time of the year where there is no problem getting the five servings of fruits and veggies. It's also great to live in the middle of the country where there are all these farms where local produce can travel less than 100 miles to get to you. Over the weekend, I had some wonderful locally grown corn and the person who made it said she didn't add anything to it, just shucked it and threw it in the water and it was the sweetest corn I think I've ever had and the kernels weren't mealy or overly big. Summer fruits and veggies make you love being alive - with a full set of teeth!

On the knitting front, work continues on the next 42 square afghan as I prepare for the Stitch and Pitch tomorrow. I have my transportation plan in place. It's supposed to be hot and humid in the day and I know the humidity has stayed around all day. Though the game is at night, I have to dress for it to be muggy. This will be my first game ever at US Cellular and I cannot even tell you the last time I was at a Sox game except to say my parents took us and if I was in school, I was in grade school - Moses was the grade school graduation speaker to give you an idea.

Yes, the Sox are in the pennant hunt and the Cubs are woefully bad but still I am not drawn to the Sox. I can't even pretend to be going for the game or even care what's going on during the game other than I will be a part of a company of knitting/crocheting men and women. Truth to tell, Milwaukee is doing their Stitch and Pitch tomorrow as well and I wanted to go to that one. I like Miller Park and I would be interested in the outcome of that game even though it won't help the Cubs one bit. Perhaps I will be pleasantly surprised. Who am I kidding?

I'm going to lunch with Mr. Honey and then it's knitting, knitting, knitting shop and more knitting!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin