Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Five Years In

I have a notoriously short attention span - it's amazing I'm still married - and that I remember his name. Though, I have to admit, calling him Mr. Honey may be proof I have actually forgotten...what's his name.

But my attention span is short. Something will interest me and then I am so interested in it that I burn the interest right out of me and I leave whatever it is abandoned and alone.

Which surprises me that I am still knitting. Knitting/crocheting. Every day. It will be five years this December that I started knitting again. It has shown me the better and worse parts of myself. It has shown me how I treat people and how my thought process works. Perhaps that's why I still do - knitting/crocheting is good therapy - and doesn't cost as much. Well, actually, it does cost as much but I get to choose so much about fiber that I wouldn't get t
o choose about my therapist.

Perhaps
a therapist could explain why I started to crochet this: I was looking through my project books when I came across a prayer shawl book that has some crochet patterns and I decided to try the pattern. A shawl turned out to be too big of a commitment considering I was supposed to be working on an afghan so I shortened it to a scarf. Quick crochet, it's almost done. The photo doesn't do justice to the lacy goodness of it but I am still pleased at how it's coming out. It also does the color (a striking varied blue) little justice.

See, the short attention span rears its ugly head. There is something in my head that wants to take a break from the 'have to make' and play a little somewhere else. The compromise it made was to work on something that could be used in the sale and that way the time isn't completely wasted.

So this little off ramp is still connected to the road but I know I will appreciate getting back to where I need to be.

Have you started your holiday crafting yet? I just made a list of family members on both sides. Christmas Eve has changed since half the kids are married and some of they're spouses are from split families and every one has to make the rounds. So instead of us getting together at Christmas, we get together in January on my mother-in-law's birthday. It is unclear if we are going to do the gift exchange we normally do. So I don't know if I have to knit up three things (sisters-in-law and brother-in-law) or not. But I plan on starting at the beginning of the list and working my way down and do gifts throughout the year. My brother in Arizona is at the top of the list. An afghan works even in the desert.

I can start the holiday knitting just in case - if my attention holds, that is.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin