Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Two Days of Spring

When I was in my Certified Lay Speaker class, there was talk about the 'Rules of Life.' The Rules of Life are those things that we each decide we need to do in order to live the life we want to live. They are the base and core actions we do in order to keep us grounded and focused on what we are here to do.

The Rules of Life have haunted me ever since that class. What are the things I want to d
o every day, or most days, that will have me centered and grounded so I can withstand the storms and tempests that will come to blow me off course?

One of my rules was to have at the beginning of my day an hour where I knit or crochet in silence. No music. No T and V. No talking. Just me and my needles and hooks. I've been doing that for the last few days and I have to say it is a powerful moment. My mind has gone to focus on so many topics and I have found some clarity about some things and then there are just moments where t
here is nothing but the project and I've noticed my breaths are deeper and more cleansing.

For the past two days, I've taken my quiet hour outside in the sunshine with Duke. He's bee
n bugging us pretty early in the morning to go outside. He loves this kind of weather. He also loves the snow so we just figure he loves being outside. He goes out and he just lies in the sun and every once in a while he will move into a shady spot and when he's rested and cooled, he will move back into the sun. I have been sitting in the Adirondack chair my B-I-L made us for Christmas a few years back and I've been working on my bag project. I started the project a few days ago and I'm not sure I'm making great progress. It could be because I am using size six needles with a worsted weight yarn and that doesn't make for quick knitting - but I am making a bag so the fabric needs to be tight even though I plan on lining the bag. It is about half done so I should probably measure it to see how much more I have to go. I have decided to go off pattern (quelle surprise!) and create something that is more my own. It is much brighter yellow than the photo shows, I believe the color is buttercup or something like that and it is quite yellow. The black edge is the top of the bag and there will be another black band at the other end because that will be the other top. I haven't decided yet whether to line it with yellow or black or even white and I am leaning towards making it match and there will be a pocket of the front and then the last thing to decide is whether it will be a drawstring or shoulder bag. It's nice to have options!

I was at the old church last night for a rehearsal for a Good Friday service. All the Methodist churches in the area combine choirs and do a service. I hated being there. Just hated it. I was surprised at the feeling. I loved seeing some of my choir mates and felt as if I was missed, but I hated being in that building. That building I used to love coming to. It has changed for me. I hated that it didn't feel the same. Moving on is a part of life. It is a part of the this Easter season. I understand the need for change. I understand how it is essential and will happen whether or not we wish it. I get it.

But I don't have to like it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin