Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Today Is International Women's Day

I celebrate women! I enjoy being a woman and i admit that a great deal of that enjoyment comes from enjoying men - but it doesn't necessarily follow that if you are a woman you love men - but I do.

When I look back over the years, I have always had a small group of really good women (girls) around me. They tell me the truth and love me anyway. They have been funny, smart and beautiful - some of them all at the same time. The cadre of women I have around me today are powerful, strong and passionate. It is hard to keep up with them and it's a blessing they let me hang around them.

No matter what your relationship with her, your mother was the first person with whom you were a couple. Some couples stay together for a lifetime, some breakup and some have staying power and a powerful relationship. In the end, I have no complaints about the way my mother raised me. There were some mistakes but she raised me right enough to see them and at least think about changing them instead of staying stuck and blaming it on her. Being a mother isn't an easy thing. You have to balance the love which is often impractical and a barrier to the raising of a human being that will enter the world. Ready or not there we go.

Being a daughter has it's own share of angst. We learn what it's like to be a woman from our mothers. Our mother may also be a wife or a single parent, an employee or an employer. We want to stick close to our mothers until our hormones kick in and then we think she's the strangest person on the planet. A few years later, we amaze at how much smarter she's gotten and by the time we have kids of our own we want to be under her wing again. She is our first teacher of womanhood because we will choose how we will be just like her or how we will never become her. No matter how far we may run something in us is like our mother. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing is our choice.

If you have a sister(s), I hope you are also lucky enough to have a sorority. My sisters and I are close and I rely on that closeness when I am afraid to try something new or am tempted to do something wrong. Within my sisters' care, I am free to be the baby sister. It's a great place to go back to. Though we are seven and ten (I think) years apart, I never felt left out.

Some of the girlfriends I have today, I have had since I was five years old and at a new school. I am still in touch with friends from grade school, high school and some previous jobs and there are the friendships formed from church, the knitting group and theatre.There have been laughter and tears, joys and sorrows but this is a group of women for whom nothing is impossible.


International Women's Day is a day to celebrate the economic, political and social achievements of women. This is the 100th celebration and women as a class in society have made great headway and we still have ways to go.

If you're a woman, congratulations, I don't know what it's like to be a man but I'm having so much fun as a woman that it's something I don't wish for.

If you are a man and you have a woman who loves you, then you are endowed with one of the first blessings God gave to mankind.

If you are a woman and you love a woman, celebrate the achievements that women have made including the achievement that allows you to be who you are. There is still a road to travel but you have sisters around you who support you.

Celebrate the special gift of being a woman!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin