Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Turn, Turn, Turn

My drool of the day is the crochet tree from Akuadesigns. I can even see putting some ornaments on it. Cute!

Can someone please explain to me why I am thinking about knitting a pair of socks? Fear not, I am not in danger of actually pulling out the one skein of sock yarn I've had in my possession for more than a year and whipping up a pair. I just want to know why I've been thinking about it.

There are some things which should not be considered: Brett Favre in a Bears uniform....President Palin....me knitting another pair of socks. Though of the three, the socks is the most likely.

I am giving the sermon on Sunday and I will be talking to Ecclesiastes 3:1-13. It is a familiar passage; to everything there is a season. A time to be born, a time to die; a tie to sow, a time to reap, and so on.

It does not escape me that this time of year is crowded for us. There's Thanksgiving and Hanukkah, Christmas and Kwanzaa - holidays that are there for everyone. But also it's Mr.Honey's birthday in October and my birthday in November. It is my mother's birthday in October. It is also the time of his mother's passing right before his birthday and my father's passing on Christmas Eve. In the midst of all the celebration are moments of sadness.

But the text in Ecclesiastes says there is a time for every purpose under Heaven. There will be a time when it is necessary for a myriad of things to occur. But it also says God has placed the idea of eternity into our souls and we will never know all that God has done and will do but we are to be happy and do good while we are here. So while there may be a time for hate, war and sadness to be, they are not to be of equal measure to love, peace and joy. As we prepare to put away this year with the celebration of lights, the coming of the Christ child, and the beginning of a new year, it is understandable that there will be moments of sadness and regret. There will be that time of missing those who are gone but the good news is we also have the happiness of knowing they were here. That joy does not diminish.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin