Pages

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Oh S *%T!

On the one hand, you might be quite proud of me - on the other, you could think me something of a traitor.

I can explain.

You see to the left a photo of the next series of hats I've completed - and there's one missing but I've already packed it away along with the purse I've completed and I didn't want to pull them out for the photo but trust me, they're cute.

The second hat from the left is halfway sold (waiting for the PayPal payment to come in and it will be on the way to New Hampshire.) But it's the hat in the middle the cute peach, fuzzy hat, that has caused the trouble.

I started that hat this morning sometime after midnight and I went stash shopping in the upstairs stash. The yarn is Sensations Bellezza Collection Dolcetto - yes, the yarn is discontinued, I bought it about three, four years ago and I've been waiting around for a time to use it. When i saw the picture of the hat, I thought of using that yarn - I could finally use at least two of the five balls I have. So out it came and I started the hat. Soft. That's what this yarn is - soft. It's 54% wool, 24% nylon and 22% cotton.

I was actually mad at myself because I got sleepy and had to finish the hat later in the morning when the sun came up.

I was working on the hat this morning when I again noticed how soft it is and I said out loud to myself:

"This yarn is so soft; this may make me give up the fake yarn."

I quickly corrected myself and said acrylic, not fake, acrylic.

Who the heck is that girl decrying acrylic yarn? I have a ton of the stuff. I mean, the city of Chicago is thinking of making me rezone the house as a commercial enterprise. I have bags and boxes of yarn that is 100% acrylic - it's even in the car trunk!

Acrylic yarn is not fake. It's real yarn. It's just manufactured from man-made materials. It's a synthetic.

I have betrayed my roots. I have turn against my belief systems.
I put the mostly natural fiber down and picked up the acrylic and apologized for my lapse. It's like when we say designers make clothes for 'real' women and not the models on the runway. Those models are real women, too. I mean they are not man-made (OK some parts are but the chassis is all natural) They're just skinny...really, really skinny. But they are not fake. And neither is my acrylic yarn.

But I had to wonder about the natural fibers. Could there be a way to incorporate some into my knitting and not feel as if I am abandoning the principals in which Narnia - I mean - my knitting was built.

I cannot be so easily persuaded that I could leave behind all that I hold dear. Do you know how much REAL acrylic yarn I have in my possession? I live on an acrylic farm - for goodness sake. I cannot possibly consider leaving it now.

Man, that yarn was soft!



040904

2 comments:

ennadoolf said...

an acrylic farm - mine's an acrylic garden! :)

Beverly said...

A farm is nothing but a big garden so I am glad to have the company!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin