Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

The Choices We Have


This photo has nothing to do with what I am going to write about. Usually in cases such as these, there would be the 'this spot left blank' or whatever it is that I put there when I don't have a photo to go with the post.

But I don't want to feel blank because I'm feeling really numb. Have you ever had those moments when really joyous feelings collide with really awful feelings and you're not quite sure which one to feel at what time? I've been like that for the past several weeks.

Now, the laptop went kablooey and it will cost $250 to get it fixed because the warranty, of course, just expired - the three year warranty. I swear they have timers in them. ('Just a few more hours and I can launch the mother of all viruses and she's got no coverage!)

I hate pity parties and there is a part of me that wants to throw a big one but there's another part of me resisting it because they have very little productive value - which just adds to the conflicting emotions.

But the good thing through all this: there's always knitting and the knitting community. Thank the Lord knitting and you guys are around. It's the support that never fails. It's the craft that gives and then shows its gratefulness by becoming an object. We can have together and commiserate with each other. We encourage each other and we tell each other that even though mistakes have been made, corrections can also be made or design around the flaw and keep going. The lessons we give each other through knitting are lessons we can take around with us in other avenues of our lives.

That comes in handy when one has to decide what to do next because it reminds us we have choices about what we do - we can make choices about almost everything that happens. We can plot revenge. We can let things go. We can plow right through. We can redirect around the flaws and keep going. We can even throw ourselves a (small) pity party.

My choice is to work on the computer in my office - I haven't been in here for a while. It's nice to return to it. I am going to work on the new afghan I started last night and finish watching 'The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.' Mr Honey brought home some storage bags which I can use for the wedding afghan and then I am going to hang out with my brothers and sister who are in for the wedding tomorrow. It's going to be a good day. And tomorrow I will make a new set of choices that make me more appreciative than I will be today.

We have choices. Isn't that good to know?

030504

1 comment:

Susie said...

I love how, no matter what, you always find that silver lining Bev. Thanks for the smile.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin